X-Chat has two good features of usability: colored nicknames and alignment by text as opposed to alignment by nicks. When you read text, it's enough for eyes to notice the colors of nicknames, which they can do when they are focused to somewhere else near, and you may know at once who is writing. Colors are inobtrusive and there just 6 of them—not to burden your short-term memory. And eyes don't have to search for ends of nicknames, they can start reading text at once when text is aligned by the beginning.
This X-Chat for Windows version features:
- 38 language translations
- Encrypted connections using OpenSSL 0.9.7g
- Native IPv6 support on Windows with IPv6 stack
- Perl, Python, Ruby and Tcl language interface plugins for scripting
- Winamp, Whois in active window, DNS and EXEC, X-Tray binary plugins
- Various themes with graphical theme and font utility